Review: Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Oil




http://www.sephora.com/images/sku/s1583426-main-hero.jpg

I may be a cleansing oil convert but I haven't actually tried that many varieties.  A little goes so far I don't need to repurchase often and my personal rule is to finish up a skincare product before trying a new one of the same family (unless it's hand cream =).  The few times I break this rule are when the items smell bad, cause a weird reaction, etc. but for the most part I'm able to keep my spending under control with this method. (Go me!)


While I was happy with my Etude House Real Art cleansing oil (reviewed here) I knew after using it up I'd switch to a local brand for more convenient shopping and faster shipping.  I've also been toying with the idea of switching to fragrance-free skincare items when possible just in case it contributes to my breakouts.  Clinique claims to be "the first ever dermatologist-created, allergy-tested, 100% fragrance-free collection of beauty products ever marketed" and their Sephora exclusive Take The Day Off Cleansing Oil
 is a highly rated product so pretty much an easy purchase decision.


The oil itself is clear and the lack of odor is welcome to my sensitive nose.  There may be an extremely faint plastic smell but nothing distracting.  I like the hygienic pump;  however, it's a bit stiff at first and I had to be careful not to squirt too much or too haphazardly.  The texture is surprisingly more watery than other cleansing oils I've tried (I need to be careful not to let it slip through my fingers) but it's ability to cut through make-up debris is just as good.  About 1-2 pumps covers my face generously.

After rubbing 30-60 seconds around my face I found the rinse-off step very easy and no greasy feeling left over.  As an experiment I used toner on a cotton pad to see what I could pick up and I did find  make-up traces from the crevices of my face (next to my nose, around the jawline, etc) but that's comparable to the performance of other oil cleansers and pretty expected when I skip the 2nd part of my usual double-cleanse routine (mild foaming cleanser).  My conclusion is that Clinique's cleansing oil, like most others, takes off 95% of everything and the rest needs to be picked up with a mild cleanser (I use CeraVe's, reviewed here). 

So far it's difficult to tell if it's helped with my breakouts, but it hasn't caused more than usual so I'm happy to continue using this cleansing oil.  

Price-wise Clinique's Take The Day Off Cleansing Oil is significantly more expensive than the Korean Etude House brand I previously used, but still cheaper when you look at many Asian (SK-II, AmorePacific, Shu Uemura), European (Dior, Nude Skincare) and American versions (Bobbi Brown, Josie Maran) of cleansing oil. 

I'll probably repurchase this cleansing oil because it's one of the cheapest and one of the very few I found without fragrance listed as an ingredient.  It has a relatively short ingredient list without significant acne irritants according to CosDNA so that's a nice plus, too.

Summary
  • Packaging:     4/5 (hygienic; opaque; so-so pump)
  • Smell:              5/5 (practically non-existent, yay!)
  • Performance:  4/5 (effective; no greasy residue; watery)
  • Value/Price:   4/5 ($27 for 200ml or 6.7oz; long-lasting)
  • Recommend? Yes (solid performance, ingredients & price)
  • Repurchase?  Yes (probably not necessary for a while given volume)


Comments

Popular Posts