Review: Etude House Real Art Cleansing Oil (Deep Moisture & Moisture)


     
I started looking into alternatives to foaming cleansers after receiving a sample of cleansing oil.  I had a vague idea oil cleansers were involved in "double cleansing," an Asian skincare trend, but always thought that sounded like overkill (especially for acne-prone skin like mine).  I've never had a prejudice against oils in skincare because I don't believe my skin woes come from insufficient cleaning and subsequent clogged pores.  When I over-cleaned with drying acne products I still managed to keep breaking out :P  (Pretty convinced at this point it's related to hormones and stress)  I don't have an oily skin type and definitely don't consider "mineral oil" or other oils to be taboo the way some bloggers do.  However, I mistakenly assumed double cleansing meant cleaning my face twice in a row and that it would just dry me out.

Side Note: My face may be acne-prone but it's not overly sensitive and won't break out as a reaction to incompatible products.  When I choose to discard something it's usually because I'm not getting desired results, not that I suffered a poor reaction.  At most my troubled skin will just get drier while staying at the same level of "troubledness."

Given the lack of info/directions on the foil packet I had to google a bit but found double cleansing actually involves an oil cleanser followed by a very gentle foam cleanser to erase all make-up and oil traces.  The oil dissolves make-up/dirt to make it easier to remove and the cleanser makes sure nothing is left.  I'm pretty glad I bothered looking up how exactly an oil cleanser should be used because I would have probably applied it to a wet face (wrong move!) and figured it wasn't working.  The trick is to start with a dry face/hands because any hint of water reduces the oil's effectiveness.  Massaging the oil around lets it break down everything and then slowly adding water will emulsify it so that the oil becomes a milky residue that rinses off with more water.  The foam cleanser is then needed to get rid of leftover residue.

Anyway, my reaction to the cleansing oil was so good I decided to purchase one.  After some research I opted for Etude House's Real Art Cleansing Oil because it seemed like an inexpensive experiment if I didn't end up liking it.




The Real Art oil cleansers came in a "normal," "moisture" and "deep moisture" version.  I opted for the most hydrating "deep moisture" but I've actually tried the the "moisture" version, too, and it's the same in terms of performance, just less viscous.  The 200 ml pump bottle is hygienic, easy to use and semi-opaque so you can tell how much is left over.  One-and-a-half pumps is enough to generously cover my whole face.  The thick texture reminds me a bit of honey but less sticky and fairly easy to move around.  There's a moderate floral/soapy smell that isn't my favorite but tolerable.

I stared at my face in the mirror while massaging and could see my hyperpigmentation become more obvious as the BB cream dissolved under the cleansing oil.  It was actually pretty impressive how quickly the oil cut through everything.  I probably massaged for around 30-60 seconds total to be sure I got everything.

It was also easy to add water bit by bit and quickly emulsify the oil.  Rinsing off was easy-peasy and I didn't feel much residue leftover on my face but the foaming cleanser step afterwards is still necessary.  (As an experiment I skipped the foaming cleanser once to see what would come out on my toner-soaked cotton pads and there was a bit of make-up left, so the 2nd step in the double cleanse is definitely crucial for a clean outcome.)   I'm not sure how the oil cleanser works on eye make-up but I'd assume pretty well based on how fast my BB cream came off. 

My face felt nice and soft afterwards without dry or tight areas because I used a pretty mild foaming cleanser.  That's also key to the success of a double cleanse that doesn't strip away moisture.  Given its large volume this oil cleanser unsurprisingly lasted me ~6 months of daily use... definitely a good value!  All in all I am now an oil cleanser convert and won't go back to harsh make-up removers that make you tug at your skin! =D

Summary
  • Packaging:     5/5 (hygienic pump; semi-opaque)
  • Smell:             3/5 (not my favorite but no big deal)
  • Performance: 5/5 (easy to use, effective, hydrating)
  • Value/Price:   5/5 (bought for $12 via eBay; very long-lasting)
  • Recommend? Yes (especially for foundation/BB cream users)
  • Repurchase?  Yes (in either Deep Moisture or Moisture version)

Comments

Popular Posts