Review: Mizon Multi Function Formula Snail Repair Eye Cream

 

I don't usually get too invested in researching and trying out eye creams because my eyes are not a particularly troubled area on my face.  Sure, I get fine lines, dark circles and puffiness but it's really my breakouts and hyperpigmentation that drive my skincare adventures.  It's only lately I've noticed increased eye wrinkles (boo hoo) and so finally feel the need to pay them more attention.

Snail products are pretty popular now (especially in Asia) and the positive online reviews for this seemingly weird ingredient spurred me on to give Mizon's Snail Repair Eye Cream a chance.  The 80% snail infiltrate assured me I was getting a lot of the active ingredient and the product claim that its EGF (epidermal growth factor) would also brighten skin & reduce wrinkles seemed like nice bonuses.
 

Mizon's snail eye cream comes in a larger 25ml tub version but I chose the more hygienic 15ml tube.  Buying the smaller size also has the advantage of costing me less in case I'm allergic and need to throw it out.  The opaque tube makes it hard to judge how much product is left as you use it up, but probably serves some purpose like slowing down product oxidation (another advantage over the tub).  The texture is thinner than I expected, more along the lines of a lotion than a cream, but I don't mind because it spreads very smoothly and I don't have to tug it around the delicate eye area.  I'm also wary of really thick creams that may be pore-clogging and cause milia.

There's a faint smell to this eye cream but I have to sniff hard to make it out and I never smell it on my face.  I'm glad the ingredient list only has one alcohol (cetearyl) which helps ensure there's no tingling or burning when I apply it.  In the past I've tried samples of skincare products that gave me a horrible stinging sensation and I would find their ingredients list contained more than a few alcohols/fragrances so I suspect I'm sensitive to too many of those in combination. 

Side Note:  I once had a particularly bad experience with a sample of Fresh Black Tea Age Delay Eye Cream.  As I got ready for bed, generously slathering the eye cream on, I assumed I was slowly unwinding with a nice skincare routine.  Little did I know that I would soon be confronted with this LOATHSOME burning!  I rushed to the sink and frantically scrubbed my eyes out to wash it all off, feeling blinded and vulnerable the whole time.  Now I always remember to look up ingredients before putting any new product on my face!

Over the past month I've consistently used this product at least 2x a day (once in the morning, once before sleep and sometimes mid-day if I've washed my face).  Eye creams are tricky to judge because they're not supposed to miraculously reverse aging and wrinkles, just slow down the progression.  (How can one know if an eye cream works until it's too late?!)  I can say this one hydrates pretty well without feeling heavy and I like that there's no added fragrance.  Folks with very dry eye areas may need something more moisturizing but this eye cream is good enough to keep mine soft into the morning.

However....

None of my dark circles really improved.  Even though I didn't buy this eye cream to lighten them I feel I need to address this specific product claim.  Also there's possibly one extra development to the collection of milia under my left eye but, to be fair, I'm not sure if it was already there and I only just noticed it now as I prepared to review this eye cream.  All in all, I like Mizon's eye cream but will most likely try a different one after I'm finished with it because I have no compelling reason to stick with it. 

Summary
  • Packaging:     4/5 (hygienic; easy to control flow; opaque)
  • Smell:              5/5 (no added fragrance or weird smell)
  • Performance:  3/5 (nice texture; hydrates fine; no change to dark rings)
  • Value/Price:   4/5 ($7-8 on ebay for the 15ml tube)
  • Recommend? Yes (for normal skin types without too many concerns)
  • Repurchase?  Maybe (I want to explore other eye creams for now)

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:11 PM

    This broke my under-eye area out sooooooo bad! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, oh no! Sorry to hear =/ Hope you're recovered now?? I've also tried products everyone said were awesome but somehow I'd get an allergic reaction or breakout so I feel your pain!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:19 PM

    I have just recently purchased both: The snail and the collagen eye cream. First I tried the snail one. Wasent too happy with it. It did cause burning under my eyes. Plus it seemed to dry out my under eye and my wrinkles seemed worse. I was disappointed because I really liked the idea of trying snail infiltrate. Tonight I'm starting the collagen one. Hopefully that works out better for me. I have always heard good things about the Mizon skin care line and would like to try out more of their products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! The collagen version is my favorite. I'm probably on my 10th tube by now and I've gotten my sister and mom into it, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts