Review: Michael Todd True Organics Blue Green Algae Toner




I'm often asked why I use so many products during my skincare routine and I have to explain that each item I use really does have a unique purpose.  (Of course I'd rather minimize the time I have to spend on my skin, but alas... I do not have a great complexion and must work hard! ^_^)  Many items contain different ingredients for different functions, but I prefer to use products designed for specific needs, hence why I was skeptical to try out Michael Todd True Organics Blue Green Algae Toner, a product bloggers gave Holy Grail status because it not only removed make-up, it also moisturized, fought off acne, reduced pore size, and brought world peace (just kidding on one of those).

After using the majority of a 250 ml bottle I can say that my overall impression is positive, that's it's an alright product worth repurchasing if I can't find anything better, but it doesn't match the high expectations I formed after seeing all the ecstatic online reviews.




The ingredients are all organic and do not include water, alcohol or too many other fillers, a nice bonus so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth (see below). 
Aloe Barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Leaf Juice, Ascophyllum Nodosum (Organic Kelp) Extract, Aphanizomenon Flos Aquae (Organic Blue Green Algae) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Salix Nigra (Black Willowbark) Extract, Euterpe Oleracea (Acai Fruit) Pulp Powder, Sodium Chloride (Dead Sea Salt), Polysorbate, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Essential Oil, Sodium Benzoate, Glucolactone, Citric Acid, Lavendula Angustifolia (Certified Organic) Hydrosol.
Right away I can spot the hydrating ingredients (aloe, hyaluronic acid) and the anti-inflammatory/anti-bacterial (willowbark, tea tree oil).  I'd never seen blue green algae as an ingredient before but google tells me it's also for moisture.  The potentially scary-sounding phenoxyethanol is just a preservative and one that's considered the least irritating because it doesn't break down into formaldehyde (used to preserve dead bodies for dissection in science lab O_O).  

However....

The tea tree oil is farther down the list than I'd like, which might explain why the amount of breakouts I had did not decrease (not enough bacteria-busting?), but I also feel my acne is due to stress/hormones/diet more than an unclean face, so not necessarily the right target for this toner.  Perhaps the bloggers who positively reviewed it for preventing breakouts had smaller, more manageable types that came from bacteria, unlike me <grumble grumble>.  There were still some positives, though, because I was impressed with the amount of make-up this gentle toner could find while still leaving my skin hydrated and soft.  My cheeks also looked smoother but I believe this was more from the hydration and not because my pores shrunk.
 
I used this toner in 2 ways depending on whether I had to double cleanse my face of make-up or not.

(1)  After washing first thing in the morning I applied this toner by dispensing into my palm and then gently patting/rubbing it onto my face.  
  • PRO:  I'm not tugging at my face with the cotton pad and also conserving the product because nothing gets soaked into the pad first.
  • CON: The texture is like water (pretty slippery) and I have to be careful with how runny it is in my hands and on my face.
(2)  After double cleansing at the end of the day I soaked thin cotton pads with this toner and gently swiped around my face/neck before proceeding with the rest of my routine.
  • PRO: I pick up leftover make-up residue, especially around my jawline, if I haven't been thorough enough with cleansing. 
  • CON:  If my face has breakouts then the cotton pad is irritating as I swipe it over the troubled spots. 

I like this product as a clean-smelling, hydrating toner but can't expect too much help with the acne.  I have targeted acne treatments that do a better job (makes sense... that's their sole purpose) so would repurchase mainly for the moisturizing properties and its ability to remove make-up in a gentle way.  At this time I have a few other toners I'm more interested in trying so will keep this blue green algae toner in mind for the future if there's nothing better. 

Summary
  • Packaging:     4/5 (hygienic; hard to control flow; opaque)
  • Smell:             5/5 (light lavender scent; feels like aromatherapy)
  • Performance: 3.5/5 (hydrating; removes make-up; does nada for my acne)
  • Value/Price:   4/5 (~$20; long-lasting; not widely available so less sales)
  • Recommend? Yes (for dry skin and make-up wearers)
  • Repurchase?  Maybe (after I've had fun trying other toners..)

Comments

Popular Posts