Review: 100% Pure Organic Skin Brightening Tonique



I rarely try only one product line or brand at a time.  I tend to mix it up because specific items from one will catch my eye but definitely not all of them at once.  It's a bit pricey to buy an entire collection just because a company claims the products work best together.  Even if I had a lot of moolah to throw around on skincare goodies I wouldn't bother because I hate the inevitable clutter of unimpressive items you don't want to throw out and yet can't bring yourself to keep using.

I skipped over 100% Pure's Jasmine Green Tea Tonique (even though I had the cleanser) in favor of the Organic Skin Brightening Tonique because I'm a huge fan of citrus scents and this one smelled so much like freshly squeezed orange juice I was tempted to take a swig right there in the store :P

When I bought this tonique (fancy way of saying "toner?") it came in a beautifully solid glass bottle but it's now sold in a boring opaque plastic bottle.  I suppose that cuts down on weight and shipping, but the design back then was much more elegant and purty.  This review will be for the original tonique in the glass bottle.


The opening was relatively large so I had to pour it onto cotton pads instead of directly into my palms.  Most Western toners are astringent and sting because they're meant to get rid of make-up remnants or exfoliate you to brighter skin.  In this way, cotton pads are a good idea because you don't accidentally get too much on your face and you're also wiping away leftover make-up. 

Side Note: These days I prefer hydrating instead of "brightening" or astringent toners because I double cleanse well enough to get rid of all my make-up and I use lotions/serums specifically designed for exfoliation.  I think it's tough to ask one measly toner for multiple things (balance pH, prep skin for other products, exfoliate, lighten pigmentation etc) and prefer targeted products.

This toner left a mild tingling sensation but nothing too uncomfortable or itchy.  Gentle seems to be the theme for many 100% Pure products and this product didn't disappoint.  Unfortunately, the advertised hydrating properties fell short of my expectations.  It seemed a little silly to say this toner would hydrate but have hyaluronic acid as one of the last listed ingredients.  Since I have dry skin, I knew I'd be moisturizing anyway, but definite points off...  Good news is that I could see darker areas on the cotton pad after application so it successfully picked up bits of leftover make-up without feeling harsh on my skin.

I went through 2 entire bottles before deciding to move on.  While it removed make-up remnants I really didn't see much brightening or hydration.  Maybe my hyperpigmentation did fade a bit faster, but it was hard to tell if this toner was really contributing or it was just wishful thinking.  I probably knew by the end of bottle #1, but the orange juice smell was so gosh darn yummy I went ahead and got bottle #2.  I loved the scent so much I might even have bought bottle #3 but it became popular enough to be perpetually out of stock.  Guess I wasn't the only person to appreciate the smell of breakfast juice on my face!  =D


Summary
  • Packaging:     5/5 (glass bottle is hygienic, elegant & you see how much is left)
  • Smell:             5/5 (orange juicy goodness = yum yum)
  • Performance: 3/5 (mild, grabs make-up, not much brightening or hydration)
  • Value/Price:   3/5 ($21 for 6 oz back then... now it's only 4 oz?!)
  • Recommend? Maybe (as a gentle toner for a simple skincare routine)
  • Repurchase?  Nope... there are better/cheaper toners out there

Comments

Popular Posts