Review: Benton Aloe BHA Toner




Benton Cosmetics is a Korean skincare company started in 2011 that prides itself on using natural and high-quality ingredients in their products but at an affordable price.  I read many favorable online reviews of their products before deciding to introduce Benton's Aloe BHA Skin Toner into my daily routine.

Without "parabens, mineral oil, alcohol, benzophenone, synthetic preservatives, steroids, artificial flavors [and] artificial colors" this toner is chock full of actives (aloe leaf water/juice instead of plain water, 0.5% BHA, hyaluronic acid, snail secretion filtrate) and amazingly no real flags on CosDNA.

Given my recent success with BHA, I was happy to see the exfoliating ingredient included in this product.  I had tried another hydrating toner (Michael Todd True Organics Blue Green Algae Toner reviewed here) but wanted to explore more hydrating options and this product pinged my curiosity.



The 200 ml bottle has a hygienic spray pump (earlier versions only had a cap) but I don't use the spray function because it's wasteful if I can't aim well (I can't help but close my eyes as I aim it) and I feel like I'm being hosed down with product instead of getting it distributed evenly.   I tend to dispense the product onto the palm of my hand first and then dab over my face.

While there isn't any added fragrance, the toner has a light smell to me, a mildly unpleasant odor like tepid water.  It's hard to describe but it fades quickly and I hold my breath while applying it under my nose so I don't mind it.  I'll bet most skincare or beauty products have bad odors but added fragrance disguises them.

The watery texture has some viscosity to it, probably because of the aloe, but I prefer this so it doesn't run over my face.  After application there's a glossy sheen to my face and slightly sticky residue but it hardly matters since I apply other skincare products over it (usually give it a minute or two to absorb).  I've used this toner 2-3x/day for 3 months and mainly apply after cleansing+serum (BHA, AHA or Vitamin C) and before essence/moisturizer.  The texture is very compatible with everything else because it quickly sinks into my pores instead of hanging out on the surface and mixing with others.

My skin type runs dry to normal and this hydrating toner packs a good amount of moisture into my face.  On lazy days when I'm slow to apply moisturizer I can tell the toner alone keeps my face looking plump for a good 2-3 hours.  After 3 months of use I have about 2/3 of the volume left over.  I like how moisturizing and long-lasting this toner is as well as the side benefits of BHA and snail secretion filtrate.  Even though I  occasionally prefer a more astringent or cleansing type of toner that removes make-up residue, I will repurchase this one again since my skin has done so well with it.

Summary
  • Packaging:     4/5 (hygienic pump; transparent; forceful spray)
  • Smell:             2.5/5 (icky but mild/fades fast so just hold your breath!)
  • Performance: 5/5 (very hydrating; nice actives, few fillers)
  • Value/Price:   5/5 (~$10-15 for 200 ml; long-lasting; only sold online)
  • Recommend? Yes (for dry/normal skin in skincare routine)
  • Repurchase?  Yes (good performance/value!)

Comments

Popular Posts