Review: Mario Badescu Drying Lotion




Mario Badescu's Drying Lotion is one of the most well-known pink spot treatments for acne that consists of a sediment + liquid combo you pick up with a Q-tip and apply onto blemishes overnight.  Given it's long history of positive reviews and my never-ending willingness to try new acne treatments I decided not to let this stone stay unturned.  I bought it in a kit with a few other Mario Badescu products last year (I reviewed the buffering lotion here) and after using the majority of a bottle I've decided it delivers somewhat for my troubled skin but falls short of my expectations so I don't plan to repurchase.


I was wary of how isopropyl alcohol was the first of the ingredients listed, but ultimately decided this was only a spot treatment and not something I'd slather over my face like a real lotion so probably alright in small doses.  Ever since an episode during college when I foolishly continued using incompatible and harsh acne products because "they take time to work" I've been much more vigilant on monitoring my skin for signs of allergy or sensitivity.  I'm happy to say this drying lotion did not cause significant burning, peeling or itching.

The extra step of dipping a Q-tip into the liquid, past it and then into the pink sediment before pulling out was interesting at first but gradually annoying because I didn't always correctly estimate the amount that would come out.  If I got too little I had to waste another Q-tip (no double dipping!) and too much meant I was hunting for spots on my face to dab.  On application I would occasionally feel a mild burn that lasted for a few seconds, especially if the blemish was relatively new.  Sometimes I felt a mild itching instead.  Rather than be scared off, though, I took it as a sign the alcohol was helping the product penetrate my skin.

The sulfuric odor was surprisingly strong and long-lasting.  It was a guarantee that I'd fall asleep smelling the sulfur even after the solution dried.  As it hardened the product could form cracks and flake off, especially if I used too much.  I didn't love having to change my pillowcases extra often since the pink solution would smear onto it while I slept.  Overall, this lotion was quick-drying so I had to apply fast or leave most of it on the Q-tip.

I used this product on newly forming spots, large and deep cystic blemishes and also older ones to compare its performance.  There was minimal effect on the bigger breakouts (they healed at the same rate), but the smaller ones could be effectively arrested and even shrunk a tiny bit faster than usual.  However, they always needed several nights of application in a row and if I stopped using the lotion too early they'd carry on worsening and then recovering like I never even tried the lotion at all.  Overall, the lotion was less drying than I would've expected given the high alcohol content (no peeling skin, yay!).

With troubled skin even this small bit helps so I don't feel like I wasted money, but this drying lotion definitely wasn't holy grail level for me the way other bloggers considered it.  After a year the liquid part in my glass bottle has evaporated off, which is unfortunate because a quarter of the original pink sediment remains and I can't use it up.  Given the smell, extra steps needed to apply, modest results and lack of longevity, I will move on instead of repurchasing this drying lotion.


Summary
  • Packaging:     4/5 (transparent; hygienic; more work involved)
  • Smell:             1/5 (mix of sulfur and alcohol, bleh... long-lasting)
  • Performance:  3/5 (shrunk small spots but needed >1x use; not too drying)
  • Value/Price:   4/5 ($17 for 1 oz; long-lasting but liquid can evaporate)
  • Recommend? Yes (for small blemishes)
  • Repurchase?  No (I'd rather try other acne treatments)


Comments

Popular Posts