Review: the SAEM Healing Tea Garden Tea tree Cleansing Water


One of the Korean brands I've become acquainted with since I started my skincare blogging is the SAEM, a modest brand with both skincare and make-up products at really decent pricing.  They don't have US locations other than NY (so I'm out of luck) but they have a strong presence on my favorite online retailers (RoseRoseShop, Cosmetic Love, eBay, etc).  

As much as I liked the ARITAUM cleansing water I blogged about last year (see post) I was attracted to the SAEM's Healing Tea Gardenhttp:// line of cleansing waters, specifically the tea tree version, when I saw it for sale on Cosmetic Love.  (It also comes in Green Tea and White Tea).  Some folks feel tea tree has too strong an herbal scent but I like it just fine and don't mind the boost of anti-inflammation tea tree offers to my skin.  Even though there are more concentrated tea tree oil products out there for acne I like the idea of a cleansing water that also fights breakouts.







The 300 ml bottle is a perfect size because it's generous enough to last me a while but also small enough I can finish up quickly if I dislike it or want to try something new.  There's a flip cap with a round dispenser I found too small for my tastes so I habitually transferred the cleansing water to a smaller bottle with a wider mouth (but that's just my quirk).  I like the bottle label design with its pretty graphics, soothing colors and elegant look.

Ingredients are non-offensive and there are no major acne triggers according to CosDNA. The company website proudly mentions "No Artificial Pigment, No Synthetic Fragrance, No Benzophenone, No Paraben, No Animal Ingredients, No Mineral Oil, No Talc" on many of its products and this cleansing water is no exception.

As for the scent... tea tree oil is pretty smelly so if your nose is sensitive then stay away!  I like herbal-scented products but if it's not your cup of tea this cleansing water might be a bit overwhelming.  While the smell fades quickly it's not subtle at all. The texture and look of this product is exactly like water (maybe bubbles up a smidge more) so I'm not posting any additional pictures.  You can just imagine the appearance of water on skin ^__^

So how did I use this cleansing water?  In the mornings before washing my face I'd dispense a generous amount onto a cotton pad and gently soak/rub away the leftover acne products I applied the night before.  I'm a big sulfur addict when it comes to acne spot treaments (like Mizon's pink one) and always end up with dried clumpy areas on my face in the AM.  As useful as I find cleansing waters I still prefer wash-off skincare and would only use this product for temporary cleansing before I bring in the big guns (oil and/or foaming cleanser).  Therefore I can't comment on how it is as a stand-alone cleanser or make-up remover, sorry! 

My breakouts didn't improve once I added this cleansing water to my line-up but I didn't expect them to since I have pretty stubborn hormonal acne. The tea tree oil ingredient is too far down the list to make a difference (especially since it doesn't stay on my face for long).  Performance is fine for my low-demand needs and I can definitely recommend this cleansing water for others looking for an inexpensive and solid product.

Overall I liked the SAEM's Healing Tea Garden Tea tree Cleansing Water enough to purchase a second bottle.  The price is the most attractive part but this product is worth considering if you like tea tree or have acne and want to ensure your skincare has more anti-inflammatory ingredients.


Summary:
  • Packaging:     4/5 (pretty & sturdy but I don't love the cap)
  • Smell:             4/5 (herbal scent is strong but fades fast)
  • Performance:  4/5 (does its job but no improvement in breakouts)
  • Value/Price:    5/5 ($10 on eBay, $3.25+shipping Cosmetic Love, $3.75 + shipping RRS)
  • Recommend? Yes (for folks without sensitive noses)
  • Repurchase?  Yes (already did!)

Comments

Popular Posts