Review: Silk Naturals 8% AHA Toner

 

After cleansing my face I usually reach for my BHA/AHA products, but lately I've been wondering whether applying a toner first would increase their efficiency.  I've tried pretty decent ones before but have slacked lately because I'm lazy to apply in the morning when I'm rushing to get out of the house.  Good toners remove residue, bring down skin pH (especially important if using alkaline cleansers) and prep it for the next product to better absorb.  I personally don't worry much about leftover make-up or dirt after cleansing because I double cleanse really well and my BHA/AHA products are already pH-appropriate (I have my own pH strips for testing).  However, I'm always looking for an edge over my hormonal adult acne and figured why not give it a shot?

Silk Naturals 8% AHA Toner has some pretty ecstatic positive reviews out there and since it's AHA ingredient is lactic acid (a "gentler" one) I figured it may be a good addition to my skincare lineup.


I bought this Silk Naturals product from the company website and they also generously included 2 free eye shadow samples, a nice surprise.  The toner came in a pretty blue plastic bottle with a no-frills label.  I assume the dark color helps the product remain fresh and it's a nice change from the brown glass bottles that usually crowd my skincare collection.  The screw on cap is secure and has a lip that flips up to dispense the liquid.  If I'm using the toner with a cotton pad then I unscrew the entire cap, flip over & back quickly and almost always get the right volume.  Whenever I'm dispensing into my palm and then dabbing onto my face I will use the flip lid instead.  I prefer droppers for better control but as long as I overturn the bottle quickly without squeezing I don't dispense too much.  In the beginning I'd add a squeeze and that was a mistake because way too much toner would flow out and it was such a waste!

The clear liquid has the same texture as water with a slightly "yeast-y" smell.  It's not a great odor (kind of herbal or rancid) but not overly strong and fades fast.  With only 6 ingredients this toner has zero acne triggers according to CosDNA.  I already use Mizon's AHA Serum (reviewed here) once a day but this Silk Naturals toner contains lactic acid instead of glycolic so I figured it wouldn't be overkill.  As a larger molecule AHA it's supposedly milder because it doesn't penetrate skin as deeply and I purposely applied this toner with only one BHA or one other AHA product at a time, never all 3 together.  (For example, AM: toner+BHA, PM: toner+AHA, etc)

I used the Silk Naturals AHA toner for 6 weeks at least 2x times a day (post morning/night cleanse and/or after make-up removal in late afternoon) and have run through 2/3 of the 4 oz bottle.  I did accidentally spill some at one point, but I estimate the bottle would last 2-3 months for normal use.

In the beginning I always felt a burning/tingling after application and I assumed it was because I was being too rough with the cotton pad, but after I switched to dabbing the toner on I'd still get similar results.  I realized I could only use it in small amounts or my face would become very red/hot for 20-30 min.  Similarly, if I didn't wait at least 5-10 min before applying my Mizon AHA Serum afterwards my face would get lobster red and uncomfortable.  Strangely enough, I'm able to immediately use my Paulas' Choice BHA (reviewed here) with no red consequences so I guess it's the AHA combination that's doing it. I've heard folks comment on how burning means a product is working, but I'm always scared I'm damaging my acne-prone skin, especially since I don't ever get burning from BHA, another powerful exfoliant, and still have good results from it. 

As for performance....

I'm sad to say I get the same amount of acne as before on my lower cheeks/chin and can't report better skin texture or less whiteheads, etc, either.  It may be possible this product needs longer to work its magic, but I'm going to give up for now because it adds more time to my skincare routine when I'm rushing to leave the house or wanting to go to bed and it doesn't yield the positive results I want.  (With my other BHA/AHA products I saw results within a few weeks!)  Plus, I have to be too vigilant about the amount I use, how I apply it & whatever comes afterwards in order to avoid the burning redness so I'm not too happy about that.  It's a bit of a mystery to me because low pH products don't tend to burn me so I'm not sure why I react to this one.  The website says this AHA toner is pH 3.5 but I wonder if it's actually lower.  My pH strips are very cheap (from eBay :) and not the most accurate, so maybe someone out there can test it and let me know.  Perhaps the 8% concentration is also too much for me?  Anyway, I won't be repurchasing this toner.

Summary
  • Packaging:     4/5 (hygienic; sturdy; okay volume control)
  • Smell:             3/5 (not pleasant but fades fast)
  • Performance:  2/5 (burning means it's doing something, right?)
  • Value/Price:    3.5/5 ($9 + shipping for 4 oz from Silk Naturals)
  • Recommend? Ehh (only for non-sensitive skin)
  • Repurchase? No

Comments

  1. Anonymous7:39 PM

    Even though it's lactic acid, the toner is still 8% AHA. I would not use another 8% AHA product in the same day, let alone directly afterwards. The burning and redness comes from overexfoliating your skin and damaging your moisture barrier. If you choose just *one* AHA product per day and pair it with the BHA, your skin will do so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, totally agree it was overkill! I had to give the AHA a break anyway because I'm using tretinoin now and way too sensitive. I'm thinking of slowly introducing it again but only as a spot treatment once a week. Hopefully that'll be a better way to get AHA benefits without the unhappy skin!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:29 AM

    Hi there. I hardly ever provide comments however this time is an exception. Your post was truly helpful,
    and can be applied in much of our lives.
    I have actually shared your post as well on Facebook and Twitter.

    And not to mention, I have bookmarked your site!
    I truly hope that you will continue writing excellent topics like
    this. Thank you a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts