Review: Benton Aloe Propolis Soothing Gel





In addition to their Aloe BHA Toner (reviewed here), my recent Benton haul included the Aloe Propolis Soothing Gel, a gel moisturizer designed to be used after essence and before cream moisturizer in a skincare routine.  I included it in my shopping cart for several reasons:

a) Instead of another cream, I wanted to try a gel moisturizer that could be used alone during daytime or layered under a thicker moisturizer at night.

b) Finding compatible serums, essences, moisturizers, etc. can be tough if the textures don't like to mix (for example, argan oil + everything) so products from the same line should play well together as I proceed with each layer/step of a lengthy skincare routine.

c) The short ingredient list has zero acne/irritant flags!

d) I got a discount :)


The 100 ml dark green plastic bottle has a quality pump that works well and doesn't get stuck.  One pump dispenses enough of the clear gel to cover my entire face in a thin layer.  There's an odd smell I can't identify but since it fades quickly I don't mind it.  The slippery texture is easy to spread and does not drip or slide around too much.

I really enjoy how quickly this gel absorbs.  Even though I detect a sheen on my face after application there's no problem immediately putting spot treatments or creams over it.  The textures don't combine in a precipitate-like mess (talking to you, argan oil!) because the gel doesn't cause my next layer of skincare to ball up in defeat.  Whatever I apply after this gel still permeates my skin and guarantees I can move efficiently along the steps of my routine.  More efficiency = more sleep time = happy ducky! =D

During the day I use this product after cleansing/serum/toner and before BB cream.  After 1-2 minutes of application I can actually slather on foundation without worrying about diluting the coverage.  At night I use the gel after essence and before a heavier cream moisturizer to seal everything in.  Based on 2x/day use over a few months I estimate the 100 ml volume will last me ~6 months total.

For a first foray into gel moisturizers I feel I hit on a good one that's compatible with my skin and the other products I use.  I did not notice an increase in breakouts and my cheeks have been less red over the last few months of incorporating this gel into my skincare routine.  To be fair, I'm also using Paula's Choice BHA Liquid (reviewed here) that has been Holy Grail for my pores and skin tone, but I'm going to give some credit to the soothing aloe and propolis ingredients of this gel, too!

Summary
  • Packaging:     5/5 (hygienic; easy to control flow; opaque)
  • Smell:             3/5 (weird but mild; fades quickly)
  • Performance:  4/5 (nicely hydrating/soothing; absorbs fast; layers well)
  • Value/Price:   5/5 ($10-15 for 100ml bottle; long-lasting)
  • Recommend? Yes (for light moisture alone or paired with other products)
  • Repurchase?  Yes!

Comments

  1. if you compared this benton aloe propolish shooting gel with holika holika 99% aloe gel, which is the best? as a shooting gel and cooling down stressed skin ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only tried Nature Republic's 92% gel and not the Holika Holika.. sorry! I'd still pick the Benton over Nature Republic because it's less sticky, more moisturizing & the extra propolis ingredient seems to be better at calming. If I ever try the Holika Holika I'll let you know! ☺

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay thanks for your information
    i think nature republic 92% aloe gel its similar to holika 99% aloe gel
    i little afraid to try this benton cause its not yet available on my country an yet hard to find on online shop (local one) i not fan of shipping over sea shop
    and its contain propolis its interesting ingredient yet if ypur skin not suitable with this ingredient it will come more ugly think. caused i had read another blog review who the author not had match skin n this propolis made her break out ( what i fear the most) LOOL...
    thanks any way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I understand. Aloe alone is probably less likely to cause a reaction than aloe+propolis in people with sensitive skin. If you get the Benton make sure you patch test! EBay also sells samples online if you don't want to commit to full size. It's still international shipping but cheap enough (some even offer free ship) so I'm not as sad if it doesn't come through. Good luck finding an aloe gel!

      Delete
  4. hey i find that etude house had moistfull aloe cream (moist enougt for oliy skin) n it's had aloe inside . i think i will try the trial kid since i read so many good review from this line. thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts