Review: Secret Key Snail Repairing Essence


Secret Key Snail Repairing Essence



How did a few months pass since my last update? ^_^  I definitely go through phases of disinterest towards trying new skincare goodies, especially when something temporarily takes priority (work, vacation, etc), but honestly I think I've just been lazy lately. =P

My usual research process of scouring internet reviews and investigating ingredients before deciding to try out a new product has felt too much like homework lately but I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things with my thoughts on Secret Key's Snail Repairing Essence.

I go through my usual Benton Snail Bee Essence so quickly I have regular chances to consider trying others each time I finish a bottle.  However, so many essences don't come in sample sizes and it's not practical to just hope the foil sachets randomly turn up as free samples included with online purchases.  So I pretty much have to weigh how much money I want to gamble on a full-size product I could end up disliking.  Secret Key's Snail Repairing Essence was a no-brainer to try out because it's super cheap (<$5 + shipping on RoseRoseShop and $8 on eBay) so I knew I wouldn't lose out if it ended up being awful.



The design of the cardboard box and 60 ml bottle is blah... they remind me of generic beauty products sold in 99 cent stores.  (I threw away the box already so don't have a photo but just take my word for it.  You're not missing out!)  The pump is sturdy and reliable (no crazy spurts or backed up flow) but if you have any essence left on the tip it tends to smear over the inside of the plastic cap.

Secret Key Snail Repairing Essence
 
The ingredient list is short and inoffensive (only triethanol amine has a 2 rating as an acne trigger).  There are parabens used to preserve this essence so if that bothers anyone then definitely stay away.  I was more bothered by the old-lady-perfume fragrance, kind of floral and chemical at the same time but it's not super strong and fades fast.

The clear gel texture was heavier than expected but still spreads easily across the skin.  Even though it's labeled an essence this product feels much more like a gel a la Benton's Aloe Propolis Soothing Gel.  

Secret Key Snail Repairing EssenceSecret Key Snail Repairing Essence

I first tried applying this like a first essence, immediately after cleansing and that turned out to be a mistake.  My first impulse was to wonder why my skin felt tight and even drier than having nothing on it and it became quickly obvious this essence has to go after more hydrating steps in a skincare routine.  It actually belongs to a collection of other Secret Key products that include a cleanser, toner, emulsion, gel cream, regular cream, etc.  I only wanted an essence so assumed this one would be interchangeable with how I use my Benton version but it's thicker, like an occlusive, and performs better as a product that traps hydration instead of providing it.  It's funny how both have snail mucus extract as their main ingredient yet feel & behave so differently!  Secret Key's Snail Repairing Essence is thick and sticky to the point of leaving sinewy strands between the fingers (see below).


Secret Key Snail Repairing Essence
Please excuse my dry/unmoisturized fingers hoohoo

The sticky strands caught me by surprise the first time I was ready to plop it onto my face and it got over my lips, making me sputter (peh peh PEH).  The redeeming factor is that this essence dries fast to an almost-matte finish under a minute.

I started using this product 1-2x per day for approximately a month.  After cleansing + light gel moisturizer I would use about one pump's worth to cover my entire face.  Sometimes on extra dry days I'd cleanse, apply Benton's Snail Essence + Gel and then add Secret Key's version.  This was the best way to use this product in my skincare routine, as something to seal in a lighter layer of hydration before continuing on with the heavier cream moisturizers.  I imagine for really oily-skinned folks they may just stop after applying this essence but us drier types would need something extra on top.


I visited the Secret Key product page and found a graphic (I'm too lazy to type it all out so just pasting it here) detailing their claims for this essence:


So did it live up to their claims? 

Short answer:  Kind of....

Ever since starting my Curology Rx my skin is more sensitive & dry, to the point of producing peeling flakes around my mouth/nose (ew, I know).  I found my peeling spots to be mildly improved after adding this essence to my routine but only if I hadn't used any harsher products (light scrubs, actives, etc) the same day.  So basically it does have a "mild soothing effect," but only if I baby my skin in other ways. =/

Does my skin feel more elastic/moisturized after use?  Definitely... but only for about 30-60 minutes!  I can slowly feel the skin tightening again and thirsting for extra moisture so this essence is only a pit stop in a lengthier skincare routine.  I absolutely must use lighter hydrating steps before and afterwards or my face starts drying out and feeling itchy.


As for brightening, I'm really not sure how much help this essence is providing.  My hyperpigmentation has been improving because of my retinoid use but I wouldn't say I've noticed a faster rate of recovery since adding Secret Key's Snail Repairing Essence.

So am I repurchasing?

Probably not....   

I wanted something to replace my Benton essence and this one falls a bit short.  It would only work as an additional occlusive product for sealing in other moisturizing essences/gels because it can't really take the place of other established items in my routine.  Using Secret Key's Snail Repairing Essence did not increase my breakouts (yay!) but it's not an exciting product and I feel there are better essences out there I'd like to become friends with. ^__^

Summary:
  • Packaging:     4/5 (sturdy pump; opaque so hard to judge volume; boring)
  • Smell:             3/5 (not great but not too strong)
  • Performance:  3/5 (no extra breakouts but can't be used alone)
  • Value/Price:    5/5 (under $5 + shipping on RoseRoseShop and $8 on eBay)
  • Recommend? Neutral (it's cheap but better for non-dehydrated types)
  • Repurchase?  Nope

Comments

Popular Posts