Ramblings: It's 2016!


This past year flew by so fast I'm shocked this blog has been active for over a year now! =)  This started off as an online diary in college that I later erased because of inactivity and now it's evolved into a collection of skincare posts.  I guess I should change the title from "Ramblings" to something more skincare-centric but I kind of still like my current one!  ^___^

I haven't posted in 2 months but I'm actually still testing new products all the time.  My laziness comes from lack of inspiration because I've run into a string of neutral/mediocre products.  Reviews that gush praise for superstar items or pooh-pooh abject failures practically write themselves, no?  Whereas "yeah-it-was-alright-I-probably-won't-repurchase" is harder to make interesting.

So to break the cycle of "meh" and to try something different I'm going to write about a mistaken assumption my friends/family have about me and my blog.  Seeing that I maintain one devoted to skincare, you might think I really enjoy using such products every day.  That pampering my face and lovingly applying layer after layer of gel, cream, goo, etc represents valuable quality time spent on myself.

...And you would be wrong. 

I fall in love with skincare products from time to time when they really deliver on their claims but if asked whether I really like the actual act of applying them, waiting for absorption, remembering what to add next, etc then you've got it backwards.  My interest in skincare is borne out of necessity because I have dry, acne-prone, hyper-pigmented & congested skin.  Even though it's come a long way with the addition of low-pH cleansers & acids, my complexion is a work in progress.  When I go without BB cream and other make-up tricks my face pretty much resembles a war zone of new blemishes and old scars.

It's awesome when skincare devotees find it relaxing to unwind by layering products on their faces, gently pat-pat-patting their cheeks & massaging it all in via circular motions while contemplating the bountiful antioxidants and nutrients being delivered into their pores.  Unfortunately, I find it all a HUGE chore and I'm usually impatiently waiting to get everything loaded onto my face so I can get out of the house or go straight to bed.

My fantasy is that my skin condition one day improves to the point that I can leave my house wearing only moisturizer/sunscreen ^__^.  Laziness is a big driving force because I'd be thrilled to skip full-face foundation/concealer.  Being able to stop with the double-takes (O_O) when I see my bare face in mirrors is the goal.

To that end, I'm always testing new products, a long (and too often unrewarding) process that takes 4 or more weeks per item so I know I'm really giving each one a chance and not giving up too early.  Folks think I'm so dedicated and careful about the process of caring for my face/complexion when the reality is that I have ulterior motives.  I'm not spending my time/$ to prop up the skincare industry for fun.  This is not a random hobby.  I'm on a quest for solutions!  And I can put up with a lot as long as a product improves my breakouts or other skin problems.  Are you smelly?  Sticky?  Made from fermented snails & hybrid caterpillars?  Well, don't worry.  We can still be friends!  <insert crazy eyes> =D

So why blog?  




As much as I get annoyed with my huge skincare collection, shouldn't I dislike writing about it even more?  To be honest, I have an embarrassingly lousy memory for the details behind products (texture, smell, performance, price, etc) and figured out early on I need to write down my thoughts.  Otherwise, give it a few months and I start to get wooed into the hype around a skincare product that I know I already tried but can't remember why I stopped using.  Being able to review my previous thoughts reinforces that I already tried it out in a methodical way and decided to break up with a particular skincare item. ("It's you, not me.  All you!")

Another reason to maintain a blog is that I always research a new product before purchase and it's nice to read reviews that are unconnected to a product's company website.  I figure if I'm going to the trouble of recording my thoughts on a skincare product I may as well share them with the online community.  (Maybe someone will get some use out of them!)  This blog is so subject specific I don't feel obligated to keep it interesting with continuous updates or coverage of a wide variety of topics.  If folks are stumbling onto my site it's probably because they've googled for reviews on a specific product of interest and that works for me.  I'm not in this to make money, get followers, sponsors or free products so I'm always flattered when my view count steadily increases (in spite of the bland format & low quality pics). 

Anyway, if someone has actually read this entire rambling post, congrats!  And THANK YOU as always for your interest! =)

Comments

Popular Posts