Review: COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid


COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid

I was pretty satisfied with my current BHA product (reviewed here), but that didn't stop me from recently giving into temptation and snagging a COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid from Jolse to see if I could duplicate the success via a cheaper version.  My skin had a love-at-first-sight reaction to Paula's Choice 2% BHA and I've never had dryness, irritation or adverse reactions from using it.  Within 2 weeks of starting this relationship the upper half of my face was blemish-free and only the stubborn lower half (the hormonal patches) remained unconquered.  I didn't set out to cheat on my BHA but I figured a break would be okay (^_^) and maybe COSRX's BHA version would deliver different (better?) results given its active ingredient was 4% betaine salicylate vs the tried and true 2% salicylic acid.  Yes, I'm superficial enough to consider the larger percentage more attractive!



The short ingredient list has the active ingredient betaine salicylate doing the heavy lifting but also has niacinamide (for brightening/wrinkles) and sodium hyaluronate (for hydration).  My ever-present hyperpigmentation from past acne battles can always use lightening and I never say no to more moisture!

I really liked the hygienic pump that never squirted too much or too fast into my awaiting palm (no cotton balls/pads for me, just dabbing fingers) and the transparent 100 ml bottle would be helpful for gauging when to re-order.  The clear and slightly viscous texture is less gooey than Paula's version but that's neither a plus/minus for me.  (I always wait 15-20 minutes after applying acids to layer another skincare product over them and by that time everything is already absorbed.)  There's also a much appreciated lack of odor, a huge win over Paula's smelly tire stench!

Unfortunately, here are where the positives ended.  I could only try this product on and off over several weeks instead of continuously because within 1-2 days of using it my forehead produced a large breakout (unusual because I don't tend to break out above my nose).  Instead of immediately stopping I assumed/hoped it was just a strange coincidence and kept applying this liquid every morning for an additional week.  However, the first spot was shortly joined by a second, equally large and painful!  =(

I took a break and re-started my Paula's BHA for the next 2 weeks before becoming brave enough to try COSRX again.  This time I used BOTH simultaneously, COSRX in the morning and Paula's in the afternoon.  No further blemishes on my forehead erupted during this time and the old ones slowly calmed down.  After the 2 week period I attempted using only the COSRX liquid once a day and stopped Paula's.  And guess what?  Another forehead breakout occurred!! 

The vast majority of my acne is hormonal and appears along my lower cheeks/chin.  North of my nose (forehead, upper cheeks, temples, etc) rarely breaks out and if it does it's usually only with tiny bumps.  That's why I'm convinced COSRX's BHA liquid isn't quite compatible with my skin.  Best case scenario is that betaine salicylate is too weak for my stubborn face and there's only room for salicylic acid in my life.  Worst case explanation is that the COSRX version actually caused the breakouts I experienced.  I'm not interested in trying it further and testing this theory.  Originally I planned on taking nicer pictures for this review with different angles and/or showing the liquid texture on my hand, but I'm not motivated now given how unsuccessful things turned out!

Anyway, long story short is that I'll be returning to my faithful Paula's Choice BHA.  No matter how much I wanted things to work out with COSRX we're clearly not fated to be.  It may be cheaper, smell better and come in a nicer pump bottle, but I just don't get the same results that I'm used to from a BHA product.  Sadly, I will not be re-purchasing.

Summary
  • Packaging:     5/5 (hygienic pump; sturdy; transparent bottle)
  • Smell:             5/5 (no obvious smell, yes!!)
  • Performance:  1/5 (didn't prevent breakouts & possible caused some?)
  • Value/Price:    4/5 (widely available $14-18 for 100ml on Jolse, Roseroseshop, etc)
  • Recommend? No (there are better BHA products out there)
  • Repurchase? No

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:11 AM

    That's pretty weird because Cosrx don't choose filler ingredients. Betaine salicylate is milder than salicylic acid as well. I assume your skin reacts to one of their ingredients or is not used to it since you have used PC for a long time. PC's BHA products is good but they talk badly about Korean products and other good products in general, which is why I can't support their company. Glad that PC product works on your skin tho :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had really high hopes for betaine salicylate because other bloggers had such great results! I still have half the bottle left so I may continue testing it on my chest/back instead of face.

    PC products seem hit or miss for me. After I started using their BHA liquid I tried a few others (BHA/AHA) but they did nothing at all for me. I agree PC is very critical of other companies/ingredients that I get good results from so I take what they say with a grain of salt! Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:53 AM

    1 year later and I just chanced upon your blog review regarding COSRX's BHA. I faced the same problem as you and figured out that the problem didnt necessarily lie in the product itself... but it was how it was used. After reading several blog entries and recommendations from the brand rep themselves, chemical exfoliants are only advisable to use 2 to 3 times a week because of its acidic nature. Acids are notorious for stripping the layers of skin moisture when it is over-exfoliated, hence the breakout! I was crazy enough to try the BHA once more as per COSRX's recommendations and thankfully didnt face the same issue. Hope this is helpful to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestion. I'd planned to use the rest of the BHA on my chest and experiment more (save my poor face in case it went poorly again!) but in the end I forgot it in a drawer. Recently I found it again but threw it away because I was afraid it was expired. Maybe in the future I'll get some samples and attempt once more! Glad it worked out well for you in the end =)

      Delete
  4. OMG, i have the same reaction using cosrx products. I have tried the BHA and AHA. They break me out, I got little bumps and its itchy if i use them for 2-3 days in a row. And my PC 2% BHA liquid is the only thing that can calm the skin. Its so frustrating because i already bought quite a lot cosrx products.

    Everybody seems to like and getting along well with cosrx. I was wondering if there's people who didn't get a good result as I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry to hear you went through the same thing! =/ The only other COSRX product I've tried is the A-Sol and even though it didn't break me out it didn't really do anything to improve my skin. Now I'm a bit hesitant to try any further COSRX stuff.

      I wonder if anyone had the reverse problem, like doing great with COSRX and then trying PC's version, having a negative reaction and needing to go back to COSRX...

      Delete
  5. Hello! May i know the type of your skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! My skin type is dry/normal and acne prone. It gets dehydrated easily after washing if I don't immediately moisturize (even if I'm only using plain water). Since this review I've figured out I'm sensitive to xanthan gum, both as a skincare and food ingredient. (I'm going to publish a post soon on foods that break me out.) It's one of the listed COSRX BHA liquid ingredients and I've since tried other COSRX products without xanthan gum that haven't made my face react poorly. Even though it's not flagged on CosDNA I have to avoid it now in my skincare!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts