Review: Etude House Sunprise Must Daily SPF 50+/PA+++


Etude House Sunprise Must Daily SPF 50+/PA+++



Until I became an acne-prone adult I never consistently used sun protection.  In my childhood photos my skin always appears toasty tan. =)  However, once I started developing breakouts and inevitable hyperpigmentation I discovered the importance of UV-blockage and its role in decreasing melanin production. I still rely on actives to whiten my scars, but a daily sunscreen is now an important part of my skincare routine because every little bit helps when you've got stubborn breakouts/pigmentation.  (The anti-aging aspect is also a plus but since I'm not too wrinkly yet I'm presently more focused on the skin lightening benefits. =)

My requirements for a sun product include decent SPF, minimal pale/white cast, easy application & absorption plus compatibility with other products that layer before & after it.  I purchased Etude House's Sunprise Must Daily SPF 50+/PA+++ without trying out samples because it was cheap, had a decent ingredient list and positive online reviews.  However, I'm glad I took a chance on this "gel type sun lotion" because it has definitely delivered on all of my criteria!

Etude House's Sunprise line also includes a more mattifying "All Proof" sunscreen for oily skin but I passed on it because it has more acne triggers according to CosDNA and I actually don't mind a dewy finish.  This "Must Daily" version comes in a simple 50g/1.76 oz squeeze tube with a secure screw on cap.  There's a light perfume scent (not my favorite) but it's not a deal-breaker.  Unfortunately it took a few messy tries to realize I barely need to press down for a load of product to stream out.


Etude House Sunprise Must Daily SPF 50+/PA+++



This sunscreen definitely has a lighter "lotion" texture that's a nice change from thick and pasty sunblocks.  Apologies for the poor picture quality above, but if you look closely there's also a yellow fluid/oil that starts separating from the white when it sits long enough on the skin.  A few gentle swipes effectively spreads it around into a watery or drop-like texture.

The ingredients explain the fluid texture (alcohol is number 5 in the list).  When I weigh my alcohol sensitivity against my desire for a fast-absorbing product & pleasing texture I tend to err on the side of caution.  In this case, though, I figured the toner, essence and moisturizer I've already layered on my face should be a good enough barrier to any potential drying/irritating properties.  I'm glad to say after 2.5 months of daily use I don't feel extra sensitivity or dryness on my face so my theory seems to be working out!

I love how this product is fast-absorbing without making my skincare layers ball up (a problem with many sunscreens).  Adding my BB cream over this sun lotion also works very well (I see no additional paleness or dilution of coverage in my foundation).  The only caveat is that a few minutes of absorption is necessary or I get an extra dewy finish.  I'm too lazy to use powder most days but if I do this becomes a non-issue.  I have to add that my BB creams tend to be very hydrating types for dryer skin (Missha Perfect Cover or Signature Real Complete and The Face Shop Power Perfection are examples) so I'm not quite sure how this sun product would react with matte BB creams for oilier skin.  At any rate I'm happy I can apply my BB cream over this sunscreen without the hassle of "eraser peel-ies" sloughing off!

Summary
  • Packaging:     4/5 (hygienic; squeezable but easily spurts too much)
  • Smell:             3/5 (perfume-like but mild; fades fast)
  • Performance:  4/5 (fast absorbing; compatible with others; a bit dewy)
  • Value/Price:    5/5 (spent $6+shipping @Roseroseshop; ~$8 on eBay)
  • Recommend? Yes (for dry/normal types)
  • Repurchase? Sure! 


Comments

Popular Posts